Tried On : Windows 7 and 8.
May Also work with : Windows Vista
So you have huge amount of data to be transferred from one computer to another? You can do it easily with a lan wire/ ethernet cable at >10MBps. It is very easy to do it without any third party software like ip messenger. Here are the steps to achieve this :
Requirements : You don't need internet at all just a Ethernet cable and two computers .
1. Go into your Network and Sharing center and make sure all of the options for sharing are enabled on both computers.
2. On the computer that has the files, go into where the file location is and then right click it and choose "Share With" then click "Specific people", at the top is a drop bar click it and choose "Everyone" then when its there click the Add button, then choose "Read/Write" in the drop bar, it initially will say just "Read". Now your file will show up in the proper folder when you chose that computer later. Make sure you do this step with each file you wanna share.
3. This is the important part cause in the end you can turn this function on or off if you decide you don't wanna be sharing anymore.
Windows VISTA. Go into Network and Sharing center and at the bottom disable "Password Protected Sharing".
Windows 7/8 : Go to the same area Network and Sharing and on the left "Advanced Sharing Setting" click and find the Less word Protected Sharing option and disable.
4. Now hook up both computers directly to each other with the Ethernet cable and wait for the receiving computer to recognize the connection.
5. Now go and disconnect your receiving computers "WiFi" connection and make sure after that your still connected to your computer however, you should still be connected, so then after the connection is off it will only receive connection from your sending computer
5. Then inside network and sharing click on the left option Computers and Devices. Click the name of your computer that's sending and just click the appropriate folders idk where you save your stuff so just go through the folders and choose the file you "shared with everyone" and copy and paste it to the folder you choose.
Now it should be transferring faster than 10mbs, if its not and its only going like 500-800kbs then that means both computers aren't using the manual Ethernet connection and trying to do it through WiFi but thats why you have to shut the WiFi off or disconnect from the WiFi network on the receiving computer cause it makes a DRASTIC difference.